Thursday 2 October 2008

Focus group:

Hannah merry: 16
Hannah has a unique style, very different in style and interests of the other members of my focus group. Her style and fashion is influenced by the music she listens too, which is mainly acoustic. She enjoys art and English, which could influence my magazine to be more artistic and cultural, but this would not necessarily suit all 6 form students. I need to create an all round magazine that suits the hobbies and interests of all 6 form students, not just the individuals in my focus group. I can do this by choosing three different individuals that do not share the same interests. Hannah enjoys watching films, so a film section in my magazine that could also relate to the subjects may be an idea. She also likes to go shopping, as clothes is not a part of a school curriculum it would be hard to work in this interest, but because 6 form students do not wear uniform and have a dress code of trousers and skirts below the knee and tops that cover mid drifts and shoulders. A clothes section in my magazine of where to by clothes like this that are also trendy would relate to the uniform at 6 form. Hannah’s opinions of what she would like to see in a student magazine have given be ideas in what to include in my magazine, such as a clothes section and film section that will interest the readers and can be expanded to suit the 6 form students. Hannah is very individual, she a big film buff and a film section could be incorporated into my magazine.

Ellie Kent: 16
Ellie has a very different style, fashion and interests compared to Hannah. She prefers loud upbeat music and is an outgoing individual that enjoys sport especially netball. She has a different aspect of interests to offer my ideas as I cannot just focus my magazine on an individual in particular, but my focus group helps me to expand the interests into a magazine that will appeal to the whole of the 6 form. A sport section in the magazine would appeal to an audience like Ellie. I could mention the upcoming matches and about the gym that 6 form students are allowed to use in free periods and lunch times, which is free and has been a big benefit for the students that enjoy using the equipment. Ellie is also interested in school trips that take place for the subjects, this is relevant to the 6 form and information regarding the trips could be a positive piece of information to contain in my magazine. Focusing on Ellie and her interests has given me ideas that I have adapted on which I feel will make my magazine more student friendly. Ellie enjoys listening to music such as RnB and she very rarely is not listening to her ipod.
Daniel Cassidy: 16
It is vital to my focus group that to get a fair view of what students want to see in a magazine, as it is for the 6 form students which would be both male and female. I wanted a boys opinion on what a student magazine should look like. Daniel is interested in law and sport. Although he is more interested in the lads mags such as 'Nuts' and 'Zoo' and I could not incorporate this type of magazine into my student magazine. I could however include a sports section in my magazine as a lot of boys are interested in football. Dan uses the internet daily as he enjoys communicating with friends over instant messenger and the social networking site, Myspace.

No comments: